4/10/09

Quick Update

I find myself at Friday already, completely at a loss as to how it is the weekend already, and a little mad. Only five weeks more. Five weeks more to buy warm baguette fresh from the oven at my local boulangerie, where the woman smiles and says "Merci madame", making me feel as if I have finally fooled someone into thinking I am actually French. Five weeks more to try and discover every hidden street and fountain in Aix. Five weeks more with my friends here, who I now can't imagine my life without. Just five weeks. Zut.

Wednesday night was a treat. Karinne, Allison, and I decided to make the Rugh's a goodbye dinner to thank them for their kindness in including the three of us in their adventures around Provence. It was a lovely, candlelit dinner that included lively conversation about the vast differences between France and America, delicious potato soup and stuffed tomatoes, and plenty of laughter. I loved having Haley's mom over, as her motherly presence reminded me of home and of my mom. Although I often don't write about it, I think of good ole' Oklahoma every day, and do miss it un petit peu.

Last night was Annie's birthday celebration. I curled her hair long, blonde hair and Haley applied copious amounts of black eye liner to her watering, virgin eye lids. As we were walking to the the party, a French boy we walked past let out a "Heeellllloooooo" as his friend whistled. I think that is universal code for: you're looking hot tonight! And she did look beautiful. We had lot of fun, and ended the night dancing with French kids who clearly didn't know the words to the American tunes like I did (one of my great joys is hearing Frenchies mispronounce the words to songs in English, as it makes me feel slightly better about my heavily accented French).

Now, I'm getting ready for a wine tasting about my apartment. I'll let you know how it goes.

No comments: