4/17/09

Lazy Hazy Days of Springtime

I have officially been sneeze-less for 24 hours. Although breathing out of my nose was not an option on my run this morning (meaning I didn't have to say "Pardon!" under my breath when passing pedestrians because my heavy breathing alerted them immediately that somebody was laboriously lumbering up behind them), I feel much better.

Today was lazy. I went running. I went to the market. I had a picnic in the park. I played Scrabble again at Book in a Bar (Greta beat me with a well placed "Uzi"). I made boeuf aux carrots with Annie for dinner, marking the first time in several weeks that we have tackled the French cook book. Now, it is storming Oklahoma style. Thunder. Lightning. Flickering lights. I can take sunshine-less if there if there seems to be a purpose behind it.

Chateau Vendome is about a minute walk from my apartment's heavily grafettied door. The mansion/museum has accompanying gardens that are tres beaux and full of springtime wonder. Tulips in every color. Green, green grass. Tinkling fountains. This afternoon, Greta, Jill, Jesus, and I spread out a blanket in the shade and marveled. Jillian, Jesus, and Greta leaving the park.

This tree in brilliant bloom greets me every time I make a quick run to the grocery store down the road from my apartment. It says "Katie, Spring is here to stay." and waves its flowery branches at me as I pass.

The bean selection at the market. I thought the purple ones looked particularly exotic.

Two guitar players were serenading the marketers as they shopped. I felt like I was in a movie, because their jaunty tunes were the background music to my jaunty French life as I selected the perfect carrots for Annie and I's dinner.

I once wrote about my market Santa, and here he is in all his vegetable glory. He always smiles as he hands me my change and calls me mademoiselle. This in turn always forces an absurd grin onto my face. No one ever looked so happy about three onions as I did today when market Santa gave me my change and yellow onions in a bag.

No comments: