4/23/09

Florence in the morning, Naples in the evening,

If you are ever in Florence, you must go to a restaurant called the Fox and the Lamb. Their balsamic vinegar could make dogs talk, pigs fly, and maybe even bring about world peace. It was heavenly. By the time my meal came, I was eating it by the spoonful, which elicited an odd look from the waiter. I just smacked my lips, smiled, and said, "This is really, REALLY good!" while pouring another spoonful.

After a wild night out on Florence town where at least three men called out to Haley, Kelly, and I as we were walking by, "Miss, Miss! You dropped something.... you dropped my heart on the ground!", we practically ran home to our beds to rest our throbbing feet, and awoke five hours later to a beautiful morning in Florence.

We hit up the Duomo, the local food markets, and the local leather markets. I was so very much content to lazily shop around, bargain with vendors, and soak up the city.

I shed a tear or two when Kelly walked away from us at the train station as I wasn't just saying goodbye to her, but to a new city that I now have an old love for.

Haley and I arrived in Naples, met up with Karinne (who was in Rome with another friend), and immediately went on the hunt for "the best pizza in Naples"-- or so said my guidebook.

Wow. Mon dieu! Was the guidebook ever right.

The place had two choices, margherita or marinara, in two sizes, normal or large. We all opted for the normal, and were shocked when three gigantic, steaming hot pizzas arrived at our table. It was fresh from the red brick oven, and tasted unlike any pizza I have ever eaten. The place was crowded with locals, making us feel as if we made the perfect decision for our first Napolitan pizza. The pizza was more than delicious, and I still can't put my finger on why exactly it tasted so wonderful. Light, but filling. Airy, but with the crisp from the oven on the crust.

I think we might be returning tonight.

No comments: