4/3/09

Avignon: Rugh style

Today was a special, totally unexpected treat that I will surely revel in for some time with a not-so-secret smile on my face.

Finally... AVIGNON!

Haley's mom and sister arrived in Aix Thursday morning, surely disappointed by the rainy weather, but ready to venture out into the welcoming arms of southern France. Haley called me yesterday and asked if I wanted to join her and her girls for a day trip to Avignon, the one city in France I had heard nothing but awesome things about. Without hesitation, I sputtered out, "OF COURSE!", and my heart soared!

When I popped into the tiny, rented Clio this morning with Karinne and greeted Mrs. Rugh, Haley, and Corbin, I knew I was in for an adventure. Cars don't go with the France I have come to know and love because I haven't donned one's door since leaving America. Mrs. Rugh was chancing the odds, navigating the impossible French highways while driving an extremely loose clutch, and therefore becoming my personal Virginian super woman by taking me to Avignon adventures yet unknown. As Karinne and I buckled our seat belts, she turned to us and said, "I don't know what I'm doing, but we're going to figure this out, together!"

1.5 hours later, 5 Americans graciously stretched their legs in a parking garage in Avignon, reliving a view-filled, charming drive through the French countryside. No stall outs. No getting lost. Just a little cramped, as the backseat didn't even offer a seatbelt for a third party, but less butt room.

I would give you the history of the Pope history in Avignon, but just click the link if you want to learn more. I think it suffice's to say that the castle was grand, the bridge was neat, and overall, Avignon reminds me of Aix, just bigger, and with a wall.

Here are the pictures!


Tomorrow, I'm off to the Camargue to ride horses, marvel at flamingos, and watch a bull fight. Pictures and stories to come, I promise.

No comments: