4/7/09

A good ol' Creole Time

This morning began beautifully. I woke up and leisurely strolled to the bi-weekly flower market in front of Town Hall. After perusing the vast, colorful selection, I purchased a fiery bouquet of pink, yellow, and orange tulips, roses, and daisies. I felt utterly French as I walked back home with my beautiful bouquet wrapped carefully in brown packing paper.

Later in the morning, I met Haley at the train station when I was almost finished with my run, as that was the only time we could arrange to buy our tickets together for Italy. You should have seen the intense stares I received as I boldly walked into the ticket office with my red face pooling in sweat as I recovered my breath from jogging. Here, I will insert a universal truth-- carrying flowers home from the market: tres French. Stopping to arrange travel in the midst of exercising: NOT French.

One hour later I left the train station, thoroughly grumpy. I had 20 minutes to get home, shower, pack a lunch, and make it to Phonetics in time, as only the French could take almost an hour to book three train tickets for two students.

I made it to class just in time, but couldn't settle in for the daunting 6 hours comfortably. Even Natalie noticed, and asked me during break if I was feeling okay. I told her I was, then complained about my ticket booking experience as she listened sympathetically.

My mood was almost to the poorly carpeted IEFEE floor as we were doing yet more grammar when Natalie, of course, turned it all around. At the end of class, she rewarded us letting us listen to her favorite Creole song. As soon as the jaunty music filled the classroom, reminding me of a mix of Latin and reggae, I my mood elevated a bit.

Then, Natalie grabbed Jesus from his seat and insisted he dance with her. This was hilarious, but only because she kept bringing a relunctant Jesus closer and closer to her swinging hips. Jesus' eyes were screaming, "Natalie, you are my teacher!", and hers were simply saying, "Let loose Jesus and have some fun!".

I was officially feeling better as I walked home, remembering that I am lucky enough to be grumpy about, of all things, traveling to Italy, and that Natalie chose Jesus, not me, to dance with.

I caught the moment discreetly with my camera. Luckily, Natalie and Jesus were so distracted that hardly noticed as I snapped a few quick pics.

No comments: