2/13/09

Wanna go for a jog?

.... visually of course. These are the sights I pass on my morning jog.

The most famous, largest fountain in Aix, the Rotund Fountain is the center of town. It is a lovely fountain, but I prefer the quiet, more modest fountains I stumble upon while walking down winding side streets. They are less spectacular, but more quaint.

The second most famous street in France (The Champes Elysees being the most famous), the Cours Mirabeau is often packed with pedestrians taking "strolls". This is an Aix tradition, and means that the locals walk up and down the street with either friends, family, or dogs, showing off their duds, purchases, and generally, themselves.

I can't wait for spring, when the above trees form a canopy over the street.

Le Deux Garcons is the most famous, and most expensive cafe on Cours Mirabeau. When you grab a 4 euro cafe, you are paying for your seat to admire the strolling locals.

King Remy, the famous Provencial ruler, guards the Cours Mirabeau (you can't tell from this picture, but he is a fountain-- of course).

My first view of Parc de la Torse.

As described in an earlier blog entry-- rustic, don't you think?

When the weather warms, I plan on dabbling my toes in the babbling brook.

Duck pond.

This view makes it easier to keep running, especially when I can hear the river on my right.

Perfect picnic spot for the spring.

The closest fountain to my apartment, if you look in the lower right corner, you can see that it is a thermal fountain. Most of the fountains in Aix are fed by natural hot springs, and on really chilly days, you can see steam eminating from their basins.

I won't be writing for the weekend, as I am going to Nice and Monaco with all the Abroadco students. I'll take lots of pictures!

1 comment:

Emily said...

I would love to go for a jog with you after seeing these pictures. I'd love to go for a jog with you anyway, but you know what I mean....I'd stick my toes in the water with you and oh man-- when those trees are in bloom! Wow! Have fun in Nice!