2/5/09

Madame Moreels

Natalie Moreels is my professor for my core language class. I have her 12 hours a week. She is a tall, dark woman around 40 years old with short, brown hair and the classic, chic French style. She is extremely animated when she rapidly speaks French (which always helps with understanding), and she is always moving around the classroom, cracking jokes, and using her hands to talk.

She adores the class from last semester, and tolerates students quirks' very graciously (Danni takes extra long smoke breaks, Jesus listens to his ipod loudly during class sometimes, Yo Min is never there, Helena is brilliant but rarely speaks in class unless prompted).

Although we haven't gotten to know each other well yet, I can already tell that I really like her teaching style and her carefree, yet determined attitude. She loves her students, and will explain a concept at length to ensure every student grasps it equally. She may be blunt, but it is a bluntness filled with love.

Here are just a sampling of some classic Moreels quotes (translated into English of course) to give you a better idea of what sort of woman/teacher she is.

"Ohhh... when I was young, I never smoked, but I definitely got to know the men. You know what I mean? I may not be a wild person, but I am wild in bed!"

"I was at the beach once, just enjoying the waves, when I caught a rough one. I was thrown onto the sand. My hair was askew and I could barely open my eyes from the salt. But when I finally was able to stand up, my swim swuit was over here (she points to the side of her chest) and over here (she points to her knees). Ooooooo my!"

"All the other students in the Theatre class (
an elective that she teaches, but full of students not in our 3A class) must think I am so mean. I try to tell them that it is just appreciated if you bring me a cafe before class, but not necessary!"

"Karinne! Turn your San Diego radio station off and redial to France!"

"I know all sorts of men. Chinese men, German men, British men-- let me tell you something, I was crazy when I was young. But now that I am a Madame-- it had to change."

"If you have a question, ask the question! It is more stupid to sit their like an idiot not understanding than to simply ask me what you don't understand. Look at Jesus here-- he never understands, but he is always trying to."

"Greta... I have to say, your paper was average. It had the language of a baby."

Oh Natalie. I have no idea what this next semester will hold.

1 comment:

Emily said...

She sounds like a riot! I hope you have lots more stories about her to come. I'm trying to picture you sitting in her class amongst the classmates you described.... =)