2/25/09

Toilet Paper and Dog Poop

Today was long. 6 hours of class still feels long. I'm hoping I will get use to it soon and time will fly, but alas, I find myself checking my phone to see that only 5 minutes have passed since I checked my phone the last time.

So, the subject of this blog: Toilet paper, dog poop, and obedience. Seemingly random, and rightly so.

Europeans are not keen on re-stocking this necessary amenity. I have taken to pocketing napkins at restaurants just in case I need to use the bathroom later in the day.

By Thursday at school, the bathrooms surely do not have any toilet paper left, as those who clean them seem to think one roll for each stall is sufficient for the week. One roll is not nearly sufficient-- not even close-- and I sigh every time I sit to find that there is, of course, not any toilet paper. I have found myself contemplating if I had time to run to the apartment to use my wonderfully stocked bathroom in between classes. 7 minutes there and 7 minutes back means no. Bummer.

Is this a trait of environmentalism? School budgeting? Simple ignorance?

(Interesting side note: I just put a roll in my backpack. Writing this down has made me realize this is what I should have been doing all along).

French people do not pick up after their dogs-- ever. When walking the streets of Aix it is an absolute necessity to look at your feet. Today was a little bit warmer (spring is on the way-- I can feel it!), and the smell of freshly lain dog poop permeated my nose on the walk to and from school. Aix's other charms make up for this unfortunate truth, and if I raise my head just for a glimpse of a hidden fountain or charming city street before looking back down to navigate the land minds, I am reminded of how much I love this city, despite its crap.

Why don't the French implement a pick-up-dog-poop law like New York? Why don't at least some of them pack a plastic bag on their dog walks? How can a dog poop on stairs (literally, it was scattered all down them)?

If there is an upside to this poopy situation, it is that French dogs are more obedient than American dogs. They are hardly ever on leashes, and listen to their owner's commands flawlessly.

I wonder why this is the case. Are French people more stern? Do they have more time for training (after all, the French work week by law is 35 hours)? Are Americans too lazy to train their pets effectively?

Hmm.... so many questions, so many random, unrelated topics.

No comments: