2/1/09

Slumber Party

Most of the students in my program at at homestays. Actually, Annie and I are two of only three students in apartments. The students chose homestays desiring cultural immersion and more exposure to the French language. The fact that breakfast and dinner are provided are big draws as well.

I didn't understand this at first. I thought every college student would choose the independence of an apartment over the free meals of a French family. Plus, it is difficult to adjust to living with someone in America, much less in France. I didn't even give it a second thought while filling out my application and immediately chose an apartment.

I don't want to brag-- but man did I make the right decision.

Hence: the slumber party.

Karinne, Haley, and Allison stayed with Annie and I this weekend, not necessarily escaping their homestays, but enjoying the luxuries of independent living.

It was a fun weekend that included failed crepe dinners
, dancing until 4 in the morning, and numerous shopping expeditions to catch the last French sales, which only occur in January and July. Pictures below of my glorious apartment and the slumbering guests for the weekend.

Karinne making-up Annie for our Saturday night out. Annie doesn't wear much make up, and when Karinne asked her to put on some mascara, Annie quietly asked me if she should put in on her bottom lashes as well. I responded yes, and thought about how much I like having Annie as a roommate. We are different in some ways (like mascara) but similar in others (like books and music). A refridgerator that actually looks like someone is living here. About a week ago, it contained my nalgene and a block of brie cheese.

When our laundry comes out of the washer, it is literally soaking. I wringe it out in the sink before I hang it on our drying racks. I never knew a dryer was such a luxury!

Allison cecking out her "going out" outfit in the mirror on Saturday.

No comments: