2/26/09

21 things to do in the 70s, in Oklahoma (but actually in France in 2009)

Turning 21 in America has evolved into an institution. It is a big deal. 21 shots, bar hopping, all your friends, and a shot book to document it all (21 pages for the 21 shots. You sign each page under the name of the shot [which is usually something like "blow job" or "mind {insert bad word}] after you take it, and later add a picture of you and the person who bought you the shot. Progressively, your signature looks less like a signature and more like a blob.).

*Important disclaimer: these are never real shots. They are probably 80% juice, 20% alcohol.

Turning 21 in France just means you are getting older. I saw a 12 year old smoking a cigarette today. 16 is the legal drinking age. Kids start drinking wine with their parents on special occasions before they hit double digits.

Although the French don't care about the big 2-1, I do, so I decided to party it up American style last night with my friends.

Annie, Haley and Karinne made me a delicious, some might say eclectic dinner of guacamole burgers, mashed sweet potatoes, and bread pudding-- exactly what I wanted. "Its like summer and Thanksgiving all rolled into one!" Haley said as we were sitting down to dinner.


This is Haley and I startled because one of the candles went out.

I managed to blow all 21 of the candles out in one breath. Whew!

I invited all the Abroadco students over for drinks before we hit the town. This is when the "American" portion of the night began. 21 shots for me, appropriately watered down with Bellini from Venice and about a dozen different fruit juices Karinne bought at the store.

This party also had a theme-- 70s and Oklahoma (I couldn't choose between the two). The dress was 70s, as were the snacks of "magic brownies" a.k.a. brownies I bought from the store and cut up and considered stuffing with dried lettuce before reconsidering because that would have ruined the brownies. The music was country (She Thinks My Tractor's Sexy) as were the cards that we used to play drinking games.

I made it through 21-- so I'm officially inaugurated into the institution. Although, if the institution requires that you regularly take 21 shots, I don't want to be a permanent member.

Shot number 1 with Haley.

Greta a.k.a. the party-goer who most fully embraced the theme.

This was in the middle of the drinking game. I'm not sure what Danni is doing (on the right) but I do know that whatever she was doing, Sam (on the left) thought it was bizarre.

Haley's scarf progressively became more gansta and less 70s as the night waned. Jill is just having fun.

Jill and I-- shot buddy for #4.

No comments: