2/20/09

Venician Expectations

I'm leaving for Venice is five hours. I think that sentences says it all.

The below pictures were taken of my grandparents in Rome and Venice, probably in the 1950s. I like to imagine their trip-- what they did and ate and saw and how they felt about it. I wish I would have asked my grandmother about it now.

I think my Grammy Gant looks so graceful as she stretches out her arm to feed the pigeons-- its nice to remember her like that.

This is me guessing, but I believe they are in front of the famous Trevi Fountain in Rome. .

The Venice picture-- my favorite photograph. I believe they are in San Marco Square in Venice. My cousin Emily framed this photo for me as a gift about a year ago, and I always have it by my bedside so I can look at it before I fall asleep. It always reminded me why I wanted to go to Europe-- its is almost surreal knowing I will be where they were-- tomorrow!

I often find myself repeating the same mantra in my head. I'm in Europe. I'm in Europe. I'm in Europe. Or today, as I walked to the park as per my new Friday routine, I'm going to Venice. I'm going to Venice. I'm going to Venice.

I'll post Tuesday with pictures and details.

1 comment:

Emily said...

I love, love, love those photos too. It's a peek into our history!! Our grandparents had so many adventures traveling all over Europe and then on to Okinawa. They embraced it, and I think that sense of adventure has been passed down to us. I hope you have fun in Venice. Soak it in! =)