5/7/09

Sippin' Smoothies With My Best Bud Aubin

So, maybe he isn't my "Best Bud", but after two rendez-vous, I think we are taking steps in the bff direction.

Yesterday, Aubin and I met on the Cours Mirabeau and had a lovely Frenglish chat while we enjoyed raspberry/banana smoothies. Aubin is allergic to pollen and is suffering terribly from the Spring bloom, so we made a lovely pair coughing and blowing ours noses together.

Aubin asked me if Miami was in California. I said no, but that Oklahoma has a town called Miama (Don't worry-- I added the appropriate twang). I tried to explain how archeologists created the plaster casts of those poor souls who died in Pompeii, which involved few words and many hand motions (I mimed a volcano exploding, people covering their faces in fright, and an archeologist injecting plaster into a hole-- which any charades professional would admit is a hard thing to do). Maybe, just maybe, he understood what I was trying to explain. Or maybe, he thinks I'm a petit peu folle, and just nods his head and smiles to appease me.

Today, I took wonderous gulps of fresh Aix air while leisuringly strolling to class in the sunshine. Karinne noticed a hint of color returning to my cheeks, and Natalie even said I looked better (If Natalie says it, you know it must be true).

I was missing home so much today I drew an Oklahoma on my hand, counted down the days in my planner until I fly home, and generally wished that I could have a QT hot dog and large coffee instead of my compulsory baguette and frozen vegetable mix. Oh... only 10 days, and I will say "au revoir" to suculent tarts, constant second-guessing, and cobblestone streets and "howdy" to chocolate chip cookies (they don't have brown sugar in France), a language I know how to explain a volcanic eurption in, and an endless expanse of highways.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Officially only 10 days until we get to see your sweet face. I cannot wait and that plane better be on time or they are going to hear from me! We love you and miss you.

Emily said...

Ten days! Make thoe last ten count! =)

Emily said...

I typed too fast the last time....let me try again-- Make THOSE last ten count!