5/3/09

The List: Rome's Top 10

As I couldn’t bring myself to do anything more than lay on my squeaky bunk bed and repeatedly exclaim to Haley, “Is it really possible for anyone’s feet to hurt this bad?!”, I didn’t keep up on the blog while in Rome. So, as the Irish sun sets, bringing more clouds and more rain to keep this country eternally green, I’m going to recount my entirely different Roman adventures with a top 10 list.

10. The Roman Forum and Palatine Hill

After Pompeii, the ruins in Rome were a bit of a let down. The sprawling city with loudly honking car horns and souvenir stands selling Arch of Titus napkin holders also prevented me from taking a large step back a few thousand years in time and imagining how the Romans lived.

But, it was still worth the visit.

9. The Pantheon

Haley and I suddenly stumbled upon this treasure while wandering the old quarter of the city in the pouring rain. Maybe I liked it because it put a roof over my head and gave my umbrella some time to recover, but whatever the case, it was cool.

8. The Trevi Fountain

Crowded, but an unexpected treat in the midst of the city. We threw pennies over our shoulders and made wishes. I won’t tell you what I wished for, as it might spoil the wish, but it has to do with Europe and time and sadness.

7. Colosseum

Although a forty-year-old Roman tried to put the moves on me while I was admiring the exhibit on the Flavian family (“You think history is interesting? I know all about history—we could go discuss it over a coffee if you would like.”), the Colosseum was still spectacular.

The amazement came in imagining the gruesome gladiator fights and animal slayings that took place thousands of years ago, and Haley and I made several circles around the arena in silence as our imaginations raged with thoughts of ancient Rome.

6. Gelato

Any stand. Any store. Any flavor. Always delicious. Mom—the coconut tastes exactly like Mice’s coconut cake. I got it three times.

5. The Spanish Steps

I could have sat all day and admired the Piazza de Spagna while inhaling the fresh spring smell of the azaleas. Although it was packed with tourists doing the same thing I was (taking pictures of themselves climbing the infamous steps), I still really enjoyed taking a break from the walking and watching chic Italian women stroll by carrying shopping bags with labels like Chanel and Dolce and Gabanna, as the upscale shopping district is in the piazza.

4. The Sistine Chapel

It was beautiful. I wish I could have spread out a blanket in the midst of the crowd, laid down, and simply stared. I could have looked for hours and not grown tired. I could have looked for hours and continued to appreciate new scenes and new subtleties in Michelangelo’s work.

Pictures weren’t allowed, so naturally, I would quickly pull my camera out of a pocket, snap a quick photo, than discreetly replaced the forbidden device before a guard came to tell me off.

3. St. Peter’s Basilica

Mouth Open. Neck tilted ninety degrees. Repeated “Woooowwwww.”

It truly is unlike any Basilica I have visited before because of the unmistakable grandeur. It is as if you can feel the influence of the Catholic Church over the centuries in the gold leafing and bronze statues and enormous dome and the sheer size of the place.

Michelangelo’s Pieta was breath taking. I pushed my way to the barrier, and commenced to plant myself directly in front of the masterpiece and soak it up while countless tourists took pictures around me. Their camera flashes didn’t distract me though, as I was completely absorbed.

2. Its Small!

Cities on a map always look so much more daunting than they actually are. Rome is walkable, and learning that a city that I have learned so much about in school is not as big in space as it is in reputation was nice.

1. Chianti Hostel

I know—its silly for a hostel, a word that congers up images of cold showers, crowded rooms with snoring boys, and a constant babbling of foreign languages, to have been my favorite part of Rome, but me and Haley’s hostel was phenomenal. The staff was unbelievably kind, and planned our days out for us so we could see it all. They cooked us dinner and really tried to get to know us. I think I will always remember Igor (from Russia) and Scott (from Britain).

No comments: