3/25/09

Two Walks: Two Disappointments

My lovely Theta sisters whom I miss dearly sent me a package almost a month ago! I was so excited to see the two postal slips waiting for me when I returned from winter break, telling me I could go pick up my package at the post office in Aix.

But, after a frustrating visit (because of what the lady told me, and because it was in rapid, barely discernible French) I learned my package was being stored at another post office outside of Aix located on a highway that is not reachable by bus. Basically-- the frustrating French postal system could have stored it on the moon and it would have been more accessible to me.

I was finally able to talk to Pam about it this past Monday at lunch. She, being the wonderful director that she is, said she could make the time to go by the office and pick it up for me. We agreed to meet in front of my school today for the hand off.

But, when I saw Pam this morning in front of IEFEE, she looked like I did when I was charged an extra euro for a baguette at a bakery because the woman could tell I was American. She had gone to the post office on Tuesday only to be told they had moved my package back to the office in Aix. She returned my slips to me and said I better go to the office today for fear that they would arbitrarily move the package again.

So, after six hours of endless class, I trekked to the post office, only to learn (after another rapid, barely discernible conversation in French-- this time with a man) that my package has been sent back to Oklahoma.

THE INFERNAL FRENCH POST OFFICES!

So, after a circuit workout with Karinne and Greta during which I sweated out my frustrations with the French postal system, I hastily ate dinner in order to make it to the Olde Bulldog for the weekly Wednesday night language exchange in time.

As I walked to the hamburger joint turning different French phrases around in my head, I was sure my day would turn around after I successfully had a conversation with someone in French (although I was positive such a conversation would entail a lot of hand motions and pointing).

No one was there. Not a single American or French person wanting to improve their second language.

THE INFERNAL STUDENTS OF AIX WHO DON'T WANT TO PRACTICE WITH ME!

Ugh.

1 comment:

treejohn572 said...

That sounds really frustrating. I hope you can get your package soon. If you are feeling lonely over seas you should get a olde bulldog. They are so small and awesome.