3/26/09

Revelation

"I hate going to France and Europe," Karinne lamented to me today as we sat in the courtyard of IEFEE, basking in the sun after three hours of grammar with Natalie.

"I never want to go," I mournfully replied, as I too slowly forced myself to stand up and turn my back to the sun.

We were not complaining about the country and continent, we were dreading the class.

France and Europe is taught by a jolly, old professor whom rarely shows up on time (if at all), then proceeds to talk so slowly that I am forced into a coma of sorts in which I alternate between checking what time it is on my cell phone (only another hour!) and twirling my hair (did I use to have this many split ends in America?). He really is a joy-- his class simply is not.

Today, after a full night's sleep, I was fully coherent for his discussion on the education system in the European Union, and something he said actually stuck, and stuck hard. I felt as if a light was shining down from God, finally enlightening me to a French mystery I have been pondering for months.

How is it that the French can simply sit at cafes all day, leisurely sipping cafe au lait and playing cards as they watch the rest of the world pass by? How is it that there are hundreds of "25 euro plat du jour" restaurants in Aix that seem to be in no danger of going under and are always full? How is it that every time I see a French woman on the street, she surely has a Zara bag in tow, demonstrating a day of shopping well done? How is it that every Frenchy can smoke two to three packs a week no problem?

Basically, where do the French get the money to live a life I might describe as a bit luxurious, especially in this economic climate? (Given, most don't have cars and live in apartments that could be described as teeny-tiny.)

I have an answer.

Guess how much university costs for a French student. Just guess.

200 euros a year.

It is so clear now. I can just imagine my mother and father reading this, wondering what kind of coffee they would order if my college tuition was the exquivalent of $270 American dollars a year.

Of course, there are cons to the French education system, which I will discuss in a later blog entry if I feel so inclined, but for now, I'm simply basking in my revelation, as the world seems a bit more balanced than it did before 3:00 this afternoon.

No comments: