3/1/09

Paris: The City of Calf's Head and Sunshine and more Sunshine

Paris Day 1: The Birthday Day Breakdown

2:00- I arrive at the hotel after a surprisingly long morning of travel. Ryanair is the cheapest way to get around Europe-- maybe. After paying 13 euro for the 80 kilometer bus ride from Beauvais to Paris, and then paying a cab to take me to the hotel, not to mention the extra fees for airport check-in and baggage check... lets just say I should have taken the TGV. But all that didn't matter because...

...I was so happy to finally see familair faces! Lots of hugs. Lots of smiles. I split a Parisian hotdog with my mom, with dijon mustard and herb cheese on a baguette a.k.a. the best, most gourmet hot dog ever.

2:30-4:30- We discover that our hotel is in an amazing location as the sun was uncharacteristically (for February) showing itself off for all of Paris. We strolled through the Luxembourg gardens, literally a skip and a jump away from our hotel. Children were playing with remote controlled toy boats in the gaint fountain, and the park was flooded with locals taking advantage of the weather. It was so warm I didn't need my coat, and we strolled through the Luxembourg grounds with our heads toward the sky and our hearts waiting to soak up all of Paris.

We then walked ten minutes to Notre Dame (oh-em-gee its so close!). We toured the inside of the monumental structure while a mass was taking place. The organ of Notre Dame is incredible, and made the experience one I won't soon forget.

4:30-6:30- Strolling time. We strolled toward the Louvre and took pictures as the last rays of sunshine were hitting the northern facade of the massive building. We strolled through some stores and did some window shopping. I treated myself to a cafe au lait with my mom (I know I don't drink coffee anymore, but its okay on your birthday, right?) as locals and tourists alike bustled along the busy Paris streets.

7:30-10:00- Dinner at Le Procope-- the oldest restaurant in Paris. Founded in the 1686, it is famous for its traditional, some might call bizarre French dishes and as being the old haunt of writers like Rimbaud and Voltaire. I ordered a meat pie appetizer (served chilled, wrapped in brioche, and with a dill pickle), calf's head for an entree (served like pot roast with broth, potatoes, and carrots), and chocolate crunchy for dessert (which is exactly like it sounds!). The restaurant was wonderfully orante, with velvet drapes and thick carpeting, and I loved my meal a.k.a. I was so glad I was adventurous and tried the calf's head.

We went back to the hotel after dinner and hit our beds with ours high heels still on.

Pictures to come!

No comments: