1/26/09

The Sun Shines Brighter in Marseille

On Sunday morning, Annie and I woke up to the sun shining into our apartment and all traces of Saturday's rain storm gone. I think it was a sign.

The day trip to Marseille was sunny.

We visited the Old Port, La Bonne Mere Cathedral at the top of a spiraling hill that the native Marseilles claim is tilted at 100 degrees, and the Old City with its winding streets and artsy neighborhoods.

My favorite part of the trip was a short respite from all the sights as we stopped to appreciate the famous Provencial sunshine in the Old Port. We were at the edge of the harbor featuring an old, eroding Fort. The area was surrounded by benches filled with sunning locals, and as we walked a ways out, we stumbled upon some large rocks dotted with pairs dipping their toes in the Mediterranean. Of course, we did as the French did and climbed upon the rocks.

I sprawled on a large, white rock away from the group and turned myself towards the sun. I admired the boats entering and leaving the harbor as the sun and the simple fact that I was finally in Europe, doing the things I have always dreamed of doing, warmed me through. It was every bit of the word relaxing.

As I was looking into the Old Harbor from my perch, it was the first time I truly felt like I was in Europe-- a place strange and old and so different from Oklahoma. Aix's picturesque old City Centre didn't inspire in me that feeling of Europe, and neither did walking around the old churches of Marseille. It was looking at thousands of boats surrounded by glittering water, with a landscape of red-roofed homes sitting on rolling hills in the background.

It was quite a view.

Annie on her rock of choice.


Me and Karinne.

Allison admiring the man braving the 40 degree weather and colder water.

2 comments:

Emily said...

Wow! Someone was actually in the water! I'm with you-- I'd much prefer sunning myself on a rock admiring the beautiful surroundings!

Allison said...

haha. i just saw this photo. funny!