1/28/09

Niveau III

Thirty more minutes.

I thought of what Annie and I were going to make for dinner (leftover chicken or potato soup?). I thought about how the French don't seem to heat spaces like Americans-- probably because they are always sitting outside at cafes sipping expresso-- immune to the bitter cold, the negative effects of smoking, and the ills of eating copious amounts of butter, bread, and cheese. I thought about how much I like Nutella, and smiled because the French think it is such a treat, they package it in giant glass containers, not petty plastic. I thought about my French Revolution class from last semester, and wondered if the French would teach their revolution the way I learned it in America.

All this thinking led me to one conclusion--- possibly, the "French History through Literature" class that seemed fascinating in the course description is a tad too difficult for my niveau III French. I think I'll be switching to the more animated Theatre class, which will prevent my head from spinning with French phrases I don't quite understand to inevitably be replaced by mindless day dreaming.

I really do like most of my classes, and find that I understand about 90% of what the teacher is saying. Everything is taught in French, and all conversations within the classroom must be in French as to provide a common language for the multiple nationalities (Japanese, Sweedish, Chinese, Taiwanese, Korean, American, British) in the classroom.

Below is a picture of the organization of my schedule in sticky notes. I'm in 20 hours of class a week-- really. Tuesday is the worst with six straight hours from 12:00 to 6:00. It was a struggle, but multiple breaks make it easier to handle. Plus, the joy of knowing I have nowhere to be but my bed, a cafe, or in a park reading a book on Fridays.

Annie and I made "poulet au citron" with sauteeded fresh red bell peppers, zuchinni, and carrots for dinner on Monday. Very good, and another French recipe accomplished.

No comments: