7/30/09

Fourth of July & Friendship


Chris and Chase are Zach's best friends.

They became friends in high school before I came along and supposedly, stole Zach away from them.

Now, they go to school in three very different places. Chase plays football at Stanford. Chris studies philosophy in the cathedral of learning at Pittsburg. And Zach is at Cornell.

It was infinitely important for me that the much talked about 4th of July reunion work. I needed them to see each other before college ends, jobs begin, and it becomes much more complicated to arrange a simple meeting between these three friends.

It may be stupid, but it feels like after college, they won't be able to infectiously laugh together like they use to in high school.

Almost magically, everything fell into place. Chase flew in from Cali. Chris drove from Pennsylvania. We met in the city, then traveled out to Quogue for a weekend of fireworks, mojitos, and the beach.

We mostly reminiscied and laughed the weekend away, as everything falls into place the second they see one another no matter how long it has been.

Chris and Chase are now my best friends. I suppose it comes with the territory of dating Zach.

Chris and I blubbered together the day Zach drove away from Tulsa forever. Chase patiently helped me through Latin Freshman year at OU. Chris is always willing to listen when Zach has done something absurd. I can practically see his smile over the phone as he says, "Well Katie, that's just Zach being Zach."

I don't think the "real world" will ever change things. Plus, in my mind, they will always be three boys debating the origin of evil while playing video games and drinking Martinellis apple juice.

No comments: